Saturday, January 29, 2011

Faith blossoms

It is no exaggeration to say that everything went incredibly smoothly. But things can’t be “incredible” when handled by God: nothing is beyond His domain. The delay in the waiting area, the wire insertion, even the goofy but very kind radiology technician, the fact that because there was a delay in the radiology department I had no wait before going into the surgery area (!), and even entertainment as my friend chased a wasp off of the radio tech in the surgery waiting area…no one was hurt…. I was in and out before I knew it. No pain during the recovery; I mean NO pain. Waiting for the results was the hardest part, as my friend had indicated; but the weed of fear that had been growing felt stunted, and I felt drawn in to conversations with my Jesus daily. Conversations filled with love and reassurance and the peace that truly passes understanding. Ahhhhh. Finally the day came to meet with my surgeon, who would be checking the wound and giving me the results, ‘if they were in.’ I felt strong enough to go in by myself. Though I was shown into the room, there was what felt like an endless wait time, but finally the surgeon walked in and even before she closed the door she said the blessed words: “Good news!” The exclamation mark wasn’t in her voice, but it was on her face and in my very next words: “Thank You God!” Such relief.  She explained things like the size of the tissue she biopsied, she showed me digital films, and she checked the wound. As we talked I found out she was very pregnant, which I hadn’t even noticed at my first appointment nor during the surgery! The sun was out, and as I walked to the car I could only repeat “Thank You!” “Thank You!”…Once in the car I wanted to share the great news with those who had been anxiously praying: my kids, family, friends. I don’t know how long I sat in my car in the parking lot making phone calls: What a joy it is to share great news! Thank You, Lord!

Three months later, though there is some distance between the events and the emotions, every day I see the one inch scar. Every day, if I take the moment offered to me, I am reminded of the journey that drew me so close to my Savior. I am reminded of the love that surrounded me so intensely in those days of fear and worry, which became fertilizer for faith blossoms. Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment